And how do you think that worked out for her? Sounds like a pipe dream, right?
Well, Helen Matthews made it work. Her debut novel, After Leaving the Village, became a best-seller, and was the winner of the Winchester Writers’ Festival prize for the opening pages of a novel. She’s now published a second novel, Lies Behind the Ruin. Listen to this podcast, hosted by Fab After Fifty, in which Helen talks about:
- How she transitioned from full-time employment to writing for a living and the issues she had to address.
- How she came up with the idea for her first book which involved intensive research into the topic.
- How characters develop and ‘speak’ to the writer.
- The topics she brought to life in her novel – various types of deceit in relationships – including financial deceit and the impact that can have on a relationship.
- Three tips for transitioning from corporate life to writing – and still being able to pay the bills.
Do you aspire to become a novelist, essayist, memoirist, or successful blogger? Register for the Women At Woodstock Writers Retreat. Deadline to register is October 1.